Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu

Student Financial Services

More Links


Grants are gift aid that do not have to be repaid. Only undergraduate students who have not previously received a Bachelor's degree are eligible for the following grant programs:

Federal Pell Grant - Pell Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Pell Grant.) Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed. Steps to complete a FAFSA are listed under the FAQ & Hints tab.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) - This type of grant is offered only to students who are eligible for a Pell Grant. Please note that these funds are very limited and are awarded based on eligibility until funds are depleted.

Leveraging Education Assistance Partnership (LEAPP) - This type of grant is state funded and is offered only to students who are Alabama residents and are Pell Grant eligible. Please note that these funds are limited and are awarded until depleted.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant - This program provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Students must complete the FAFSA, be a U. S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in a high-needs field of teaching, meet an overall GPA requirement, and sign an Agreement to Serve and Entrance Counseling with the U. S. Department of Education. If the student fails to complete his/her terms of service, the grant reverts to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan in which the interest accrues from the date the grant funds were disbursed. An application is under the "Forms" tab.

Technology Scholarship Program for Alabama Teachers (TSPAT) - Certified teachers in public schools in Alabama are eligible to apply for this non-needs-based assistance that pays graduate tuition for three computer technology courses. First priority is given to those teachers in the fields of English, Science, Math, Social Science, History and those teaching kindergarten to grade six. Funding for this program is contingent upon state appropriations. Contact the Office of Student Financial Services for applications.

Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program - The Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program provides $1,500 per year and is a federally-funded program that promotes student excellence and achievement, and recognizes exceptionally-able high school seniors. Applications may be obtained from Dr. Paul Wylie at the Alabama State Department of Education - (334) 242-8013.

Alabama National Guard Assistance Program - The Alabama National Guard Assistance Program is a non-needs-based program that covers the cost of tuition, fees and books. Available to active members of the Alabama National Guard, awards are limited to $500 per semester and no more than $1,000 per year. The award is determined by taking the cost of tuition and books and subtracting veteran's benefits received during this period. Contact your unit commander for an application.

Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) - The ACHE offers a variety of scholarships for Alabama Residents. For requirements and application information on the scholarships listed below contact ACHE.

  • Police Officer & Firefighter Survivors' Educational Assistance Program
  • Alabama Scholarship for Dependents of Blind Parents
  • Paul Douglas Teaching Scholarships
  • Appalachian Youth Scholarship Program

Veterans Affairs - The Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs offers financial assistance to eligible dependents of disabled veterans who were permanent civilian residents of Alabama prior to entry into military service. This assistance provides tuition, fees, books and supplies. For more information, contact the Veterans Affairs Office in your county. Military veterans may be eligible for assistance through a variety of programs. The JSU Office of Veterans Affairs in located in Room 101 of Bibb Graves Hall.

Vocational Rehabilitation - Students who have physical disabilities may be eligible for assistance through the Vocational Rehabilitation Service. Alabama residents needing more information may contact the agency at 2127 East South Boulevard, Montgomery, AL 36199.

Alabama State Nursing Scholarships - Five, $600 scholarships are awarded to students enrolled in the University's School of Health Professions and Wellness. Recipients must be Alabama residents of at least junior standing. Certain requirements must be met or the scholarship must be repaid. Selection is made by the School of Health Professions and Wellness. Contact the School of Health Professions and Wellness for further information at (256) 782-5425.

Additional Information - Detailed information on federal student financial aid programs is available from the U.S. Department of Education at and in the JSU Office of Student Financial Services.

Also, try these routes for locating scholarship and grant programs:

The internet is a great place to begin you scholarship search.

For example:

Ask your family and friends if there are scholarships available where they work, or in their communities or through organizations of which they are members.

If you have any hobbies, interests or belong to any clubs, inquire about scholarships through these organizations.

Visit the library.

Ask your high school guidance counselor.

AVOID Scholarship Scams. In your excitement to locate scholarship money, don't fall prey to scholarship scams. Scholarship services that promise to "do the work for you" or require a credit card may not be legitimate sources. Nothing can replace the research and hard work that you do to locate your scholarships. For tips on avoiding scholarship scams, visit the U.S. Federal Trade Commission website at

Back to Top