Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu


More Links

J1 Students

J1 Students are part of the Exchange Visitor Program through the U.S. Department of State that allows JSU to host international students from partnered institutions and under scholarship program (International House Program) who are interested in short-term and non-degree seeking educational and cultural experiences at Jacksonville State University.


Official Reporting

J1 Scholar/Student must report to the Office of International House and Programs with travel documents such as Passport, Visa page, DS2019, copy of I-94 and Admission Letter by the stated program start date on DS2019.

US Local address

International students are required by the Department of Homeland Security to submit their US address during International Student Orientation, and within 10 days after any additional change of address to the International House & Programs. 

The Address can be updated on MyJSU, by updating the "Mailing address”.

DS-2019 Changes

Students must become familiar with all information listed on your DS-2019, and inform of any inaccuracies to International House & Programs immediately.

Information that may be subject to change include program of study and program end date. Such changes must be reported to International House & Programs immediately. A new DS-2019 will then be issued.



International students must make sure their passport is valid at all times. Students who need to renew their passport in the United States must contact their consulate either in the US or in their home country.


J1 Students/Scholars must ensure at all times that their DS-2019 is valid and that the program end date listed is valid.


This is an electronic document issued when entering the United States.

  • This record determines the visa category an international student entered the US with, and it is also used to record when an international student enters and exits the US.
  • To retrieve your I-94 number or electronic record, visit the I-94 Retrieval Website.
Visa (Stamped in Passport)

The stamped visa in the passport is used for entry into the United States.

  • International students can stay in the US on an expired visa as long as they are maintaining their student status. However, the visa must be valid when an international student reenters the United States from a trip abroad.
  • Visas can be renewed at a US embassy.

J1 Students have the chance for Academic Training after the completion of their program and must abide by specific rules when Departing

Back to Top